Hazard warning lights

Started by MarkR, December 11, 2018, 04:01:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkR

I am interested to know what the USR committee thoughts are on using hazard warning lights while riding, as i have noticed more and more USR's are doing this, The highway code is very straightforward with it's information that they are not allowed to be used on moving vehicle other than a very short period on motorways to warn other vehicles,The Highway Code says:
[/color][/size]
"Hazard warning lights. These may be used when your vehicle is stationary, to warn that it is temporarily obstructing traffic. Never use them as an excuse for dangerous or illegal parking. You MUST NOT use hazard warning lights while driving or being towed unless you are on a motorway or unrestricted dual carriageway and you need to warn drivers behind you of a hazard or obstruction ahead. Only use them for long enough to ensure that your warning has been observed."

[/color][/size]
[/color][/size]I put the above as a comment on face book, as there were members using the hazard lights while riding (4 way indicators)  i was not [/size]referring[/size] to the bikes with orange lights fitted [/size]additionally for warning of a hazard.[/font][/size]The only reason i asked the question was a mate of mine (Hampshire traffic policeman) was with me while watching the [/size]video's and he commented about this being [/font]illegal to do so. I did know this and would not use mine while riding as it could cause an issue if another road user only saw one of the indicators, and thought i was turning.[/font][/size]I did not mean to cause a stir with this subject but just thought i should check the committee's [/size]guidance on this issue.[/font]

Mr Rizla

This is why I have separate amber light not connected to my indicators, this way i am able to give a clear indication when I'm turning, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it