New Rider Introductions

Started by Mr Rizla, April 07, 2011, 05:57:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver@TLB

Hi to the new guys and welcome,
Assuming you have e-mail addresses on your profiles, I will e-mail you some further info re USRs and a pro frma for you to complete if you are interested in joining. 

Anthony29

Magic Man

About Me: Well now I've joined the group I guess I'd better introduce myself. 

Born again biker comes to mind ........ passed my test back in the day when "gay" meant happy and Triumph was a British bike (no I'm not and yes that long ago). 

Got back into bikes a couple of years ago and rather than go out and kill myself on a "1000cc Kamawaker jingjong" decided to build up to a big bike slowly.  So got myself a 50cc AJS Regal Raptor.  Sold that after a little while (like when I got overtaken by mobility scooters) and moved up to a 125 Cruiser (Pioneer Nevada).  It's cheap, reliable and is only meant as a stepping stone...
Next year I'm hoping to move up to a Deauville (2nd hand of course) and will probably stick with that.  Not into these street racer type bikes, I know that I couldn't handle the power and the very thought of going 140+ on two wheels terrifies me.  (4 wheels? any day of the week  )

If you've read this far you probably need to do something with your life! No! seriously, you've probably gathered that I don't take myself too seriously.  I've got work for that (Information Security and Data Protection Consultant - yes it's really that boring). 

Apart from the bike my other main hobby is I'm a semi pro magician. No I can't make something disappear, I can cut people in half (I just gotta finish the course so I learn how to put them back together).

That's me, thanks for the add, and if I say something that can be taken two ways and one of those ways causes offence, I meant the other one!

About my Ride (07 - Pioneer Nevada 125):Okay, so here's what I've done with her since I got her (apart from servicing):
Upgraded the spark plug (iridium),
replaced the chain,
upped the sprockets to 16t front and 38t rear (I did go up to 17t front but, to all intents and purposes, lost 5th gear).

Replaced the pathetic horn with a pair of 110Db air horns :-D

Changed the side lights to LED Headlights.  The original lights were 10w sides and 30/35w main.  Now I have 30w equivalent sides and upped the main to a 40/45w.  (had to 'shoehorn' the aftermarket visors into the sidelights.

Had a rack and top box put on her.  Had to lose the sissy bar but considering putting that back on and shifting the box back a tad (how far is a "tad" exactly?)

Replaced the voltmeter. and put pretty little 'fanned aces' stickers on each side of the tank.

What can I bring to the USRs? Well, I spent ten years in the Royal Signals and sixteen years in the Fire Service and am bit of a 'geek' (well an excel whore to be honest) and can touch type.  I'm not IAM, RoSPA or any of those other things, so I'm guessing, the most likely, readily available, skill I can bring to the USRs is to offer support on the comms side.  Some time ago, for someone, I set up an excel spreadsheet that acted as a real-time log for all comms. (promotes good radio procedure and brevity!) basically, I touched type the comms in real time and, as the 'enter' button was hit it automatically inserted the system time.  Worked well :-)  Well that's me and I'll be speaking to that awfully nice Mr Riz after the festivities to see if I can bring any added value and support to the USRs  :-)    
"The magician and the politician have much in common: they both have to draw our attention away from what they are really doing."

Trout@TLB

thats quite some intro, magic man!  Nice to see another ex serviceman :)  id did some comms in the CRE, but not anywhere close to what the RCS monkey's would have been doing!  Definitely need to hook you up with Riz and Stem to get some comm's brains together

Magic Man

Cheerz Darren (Daz?)
Have met both Riz and Stem when I helped organise the Ring of Red.  Was a lot of fun, slightly embarrassing when I pulled my bike up alongside theirs lol
"The magician and the politician have much in common: they both have to draw our attention away from what they are really doing."

STEM

Hi ya Terry great to have you on the team. You could have been with us today as first part of the training at the FBOS first aid course. We are going to organise another soon so keep in touch. I'm sure we can put your comms skills to use as we are currently upgrading at the moment. If the mean time why not turn up on a few rides and study how we work.

Mr Rizla

Weaver@TLB

Hi Terry and welcome,
Proforma on the way to you.

Magic Man

Hey Lady P,  (Give my best to 'Parker' lol)
Got the proforma, will be a delay in completing it but will get it back to you as soon as possible.

Haven't got the skills (yet) to be a rider but joining to hope I can help that awfully nice Mr Riz on the comms side.  Perhaps, as I get more experienced I'll be able to move on up to fully fledged USR (I look good in orange! I'm a motorsport marshall so can even provide my own ;-) )

Terry

Weaver@TLB

"Awfully nice Mr Riz"?  Can't be the one we know then!   ;D ;D
We will be sorting out a machine control day early next year so come along to that and see how you do.

Magic Man

I will if I can bring my stabilisers ;-)

Weaver@TLB

Quote from: Magic Man on December 01, 2013, 02:37:38 PM
I will if I can bring my stabilisers ;-)

No problem - how do you think I do it! :) :)

DJ Graham Smith

Welcome to the team Terry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

saphena

Welcome Terry, it's good to have you onboard :)

Mr Rizla

Quote from: DJ Graham USR 34 on December 04, 2013, 12:44:20 PM
Welcome to the team Terry.

dont make him too welcome, where's the hot choc and donuts.. :)

DJ Graham Smith

Quote from: Mr Rizla on December 04, 2013, 12:53:13 PM

Ken

I'm sure Terry will be supplying endless supplies at the ROR :) lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magic Man

Quote from: Mr Rizla on December 04, 2013, 12:53:13 PM

I has cookies!  ;D ;)

Mr Rizla

Quote from: Magic Man on December 04, 2013, 02:10:20 PM
I has cookies!  ;D ;)
pictures a group of Tango's appearing from the bushes in an expectant huddle

Weaver@TLB

Quote from: Mr Rizla on December 04, 2013, 02:41:34 PM
pictures a group of Tango's appearing from the bushes in an expectant huddle

No change there then!  :) :)

Grandma

Quote from: Anthony29 on October 23, 2013, 03:32:36 PM
Hi my name is Tony and I live in Hastings. I have only been riding for 2 years now and use my bike to commute all year round. I heard of this group through the FB page on the M25 poppy ride (which intrigued me straight away and will attend). I just wanted to learn a bit more and see if I can be of any help even though with 2 small children I don't have bucket loads of free time (I wish). I ride with others from the forum Kent and Sussex bikers as much as i can, which I enjoy. Nice to do something other than just getting to and from work.
Hi Ant I am on Kent & Sussex Bikers too, gone very quiet (due to weather?)

I must admit though I believe I might be a little under qualified  :-\ . Was curioys what SERV that most people seem to be members of,  stands for?

Have met Ant as I also ride with Kent & Sussex when I have time, enjoyed a great ride with him  this time last year.

deekhubert

June 07, 2014, 10:35:45 AM #45 Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 10:42:30 AM by Mr Rizla - USR27
Hi everyone,

Being the newest Noobie/Beginner (delete as appropriate), I thought it best to introduce myself.  I was the "Young" officer who hosted the training day at Bordon and I was so impressed with you setup and outlook that I decided to join the team.  I have also joined the IAM and had my first Observed Ride with the Wey Valley Advanced Motorcycle Club ( it was a huge eye opener and I learnt a great deal in just one morning). Next I am off to Surrey Police for a Bike Safe day.

A bit about me - I have been riding for about 8 years and currently own a Yamaha XJ900 Diversion, luckily its that old that I don't mind dropping it. However I am in the process (or should that be cajoling/influencing my wife) of buying a newer model - would love to hear feedback on Sport Touring models.

I have been in the Army for 29 years and I will eventually leave the forces on June 2015 when I will be classed as too old! I have served with the Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers who fix, maintain and repair all equipment's in the Army  (Imagine the AA or the RAC with a gun). That's enough about me and I look forward to meeting you all very soon.

Geordie

Mr Rizla

June 07, 2014, 10:45:53 AM #46 Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 12:07:06 PM by Weaver/LadyP
Welcome aboard, if you send a message to Weaver/Lady P she can get you on the books, look forward to seeing you soon, once you have full access to the forum you can read about upcoming events we are supporting and am sure we can sort out a mentor who can bring you up to speed.

TallGuy - USR11

Welcome Geordie, was good to meet you and thanks for all your work at Bordon. I have been supplying you (REME) with kit to support your work for the past 20 years some of which you know only too well!

As for sports tourers, I would always recommend Honda for reliability and then is depends on money, intended use, leg length, and how mechanically minded you are which being REME I guess you won't mind doing a bit of tinkering, self servicing.

DJ Graham Smith

June 07, 2014, 12:02:35 PM #48 Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 01:30:46 PM by DJ Graham USR 34
Welcome Geordie great to see you joined our team.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Weaver@TLB

Quote from: Mr Rizla - USR27 on June 07, 2014, 10:45:53 AM
Welcome aboard, if you send a message to Weaver/Lady P she can get you on the books, look forward to seeing you soon, once you have full access to the forum you can read about upcoming events we are supporting and am sure we can sort out a mentor who can bring you up to speed.

Riz = he is already on the books.  Also sorry but I modified your post as I do not want my full name and private e-mail address posted on the forum.