New Rider Introductions

Started by Mr Rizla, April 07, 2011, 05:57:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RichyRich

Hi Nigel. Thanks very much for the offer. See you on Sunday.
Rich

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rs2k_rider (USR 08)

Hi all.

My name is Bill and I'm from Dagenham .... I know I know, someone has to be :p

Anyway, been riding since 2009 on road and currently have a VFR800 vtec, previously having a 600 hornet.

I'm due to start work with east of England ambulance service shortly and train as a technician.

I would like to know more info on what's needed to join you on the road :) ?

Regards

TallGuy - USR11

Quote from: Rs2k_rider on September 21, 2016, 01:51:18 PM
Hi all.

My name is Bill and I'm from Dagenham .... I know I know, someone has to be :p

Anyway, been riding since 2009 on road and currently have a VFR800 vtec, previously having a 600 hornet.

I'm due to start work with east of England ambulance service shortly and train as a technician.

I would like to know more info on what's needed to join you on the road :) ?

Regards

Bill, to join us on the road you need to hold or have a commitment to obtain an advanced rider qualification (e.g. IAM or RoSPA). From there you are inducted (it's not painful) as an associate rider. After having participated in a number of events where you will be assessed, undertaken a FBoS (or equivalent) first aid course and a USR training day, if deemed suitable you are elevated to full USR status.

Magic Man

Then when you've joined us, you're fair game and your problems really start ;-)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

"The magician and the politician have much in common: they both have to draw our attention away from what they are really doing."

Graham Maclean

Nigel-USR53-SAM/SERV

Quote from: Magic Man on September 23, 2016, 05:46:51 PM
Then when you've joined us, you're fair game and your problems really start ;-)

yes and make sure your battery is FULLY CHARGED at all times lol
GS'ing again!

Rs2k_rider (USR 08)

Ah I have power banks to make sure phone battery should stay full :) hopefully lol !!
Need to get USB wired into bike for charge lead or a 12v outlet I can plug adapter into. Not got around to it yet :(

Also, just done the rubber on bike - noticed my right fork is leaking !  Have bits to do them apart from seal driver for 43mm forks !  Was going to change the oil and seals anyway but going to have to try this week now :(

Rs2k_rider (USR 08)

Fork seals all done :) did them for first time today, hope they hold ! :-/ new oil and seals on both.

Jamie M USR29

Hello All,

I'm Jamie, been riding for 5 years on my trusty CBF600 and stuck 60,000 miles on it. Currently doing my IAM and also training to become a CBT and eventually DAS instructor. Looking forward to being able to volunteer with USR and hope to get involved as soon as I can. I don't have any first aid training but am keen to address that however best recommended.

Any pointers on what I would be best doing to get involved would be much appreciated.

Charlesm USR06

Hi Jamie

Welcome to the forum and USR's.

There's a couple of toy runs coming up which you are welcome to attend to see how you get on. In the new year I expect there will be a first aid course run so you might be best waiting for that.

Good luck with your IAM and I hope to meet you soon on a ride.

BryanBlencowe

Hey All,
I'm Bryan found my love for the tarmac again after quite a few years off it. I ride a Honda NT700.
Currently ride as a volunteer for a few animals charity's in a role I'm told should be described as Roadside Animal Recovery. In short I get called to many deceased and injured domestic animals on the roads where I can stabilize if needed. Most of by work is recovery where I carry Mobile Microchip scanner and can ID at the roadside and transport and reunite with there owners for closure.

I was off the road due to being bitten by the Devil that is PTSD and Anxiety and although i will never be rid of these demons i have found that I can channel the overactive mind into logical problem solving and crisis management.

Currently working towards my IAM and also started training as a CFR (community first responder) although they are not yet too convinced about using a bike in this role, i will change their minds I'm sure and where is a better place for a mobile defibrillator then on a motorcycle in our built up areas.

Look forward to meet you all, although deep inside I will be nervous as hell the first time...

Humor - well it's a bit dark to be honest but i have been told that its key requirement in USR's.

Charlesm USR06

Welcome Bryan, your work with the animal charities sounds very interesting and I can see your point about transporting a defib on a bike for the CFRs, it'll be interesting to see how that pans out.

Where are you based?

BryanBlencowe

Quote from: Charlesm on February 03, 2018, 09:31:47 PM
Welcome Bryan, your work with the animal charities sounds very interesting and I can see your point about transporting a defib on a bike for the CFRs, it'll be interesting to see how that pans out.

Where are you based?
Farnham Surrey sir

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Charlesm USR06

Nice part of the world, I used to deliver wine to the Oddbins in Farnham many moons ago!

You'll be well placed for many of the events that USRs get involved in although we come from all over the South. Have you filled in the contact form online?

https://www.unitysupportriders.org/contact-us/

BryanBlencowe

Quote from: Charlesm on February 03, 2018, 09:36:34 PM
Nice part of the world, I used to deliver wine to the Oddbins in Farnham many moons ago!

You'll be well placed for many of the events that USRs get involved in although we come from all over the South. Have you filled in the contact form online?

https://www.unitysupportriders.org/contact-us/
Wow oddbins was a while back. Used to get me a packet of Branigans Beef and Mustard crisps and cider for an evening in the park.

I sure have.
Picture of the bike too.

Charlesm USR06

Sorry for the slow reply, work has got in the way!

The bike certainly stands out and the concept is not one I've come across before but I can see the need for it. I'm sure its appreciated by the owners of the pets you recover although it must be very emotional at times as well. Hopefully the USR jobs will be a bit of light relief!

I look forward to meeting you in person in due course, I try to get to a range of different events through the year although prefer the cycle-based ones if possible. If you have any questions about anything feel free to ask either on here or when we meet, I'm USR06 and ride a blue/silver FJR.

Charlesm USR06

Hi Bryan

Will you be attending the social/training ride on 11 March? It is open to anyone interested in becoming a USR and so would be a good one for you to attend. Details:

Leave Oakdene Café, [/size]London Rd, Wrotham, Sevenoaks TN15 7RR at 1030 and finish at Rykas Café, Old London Rd, Box Hill, Mickleham, Dorking RH5 6BY.
[/size]

BryanBlencowe

Quote from: Charlesm on February 25, 2018, 05:50:54 PM
Hi Bryan

Will you be attending the social/training ride on 11 March? It is open to anyone interested in becoming a USR and so would be a good one for you to attend. Details:

Leave Oakdene Café, [/size]London Rd, Wrotham, Sevenoaks TN15 7RR at 1030 and finish at Rykas Café, Old London Rd, Box Hill, Mickleham, Dorking RH5 6BY.
[/size]
It's in my diary Sir.

Charlesm USR06

Hi Bryan

Unfortunately after all that a work commitment has scuppered my chance to attend on Sunday.

I hope you have a good ride and look forward to meeting you soon.

Charles.

Matt

Hi All
Just I should probably introduce myself as I'm out tomorrow with everyone. I've been riding since i was 16 (37 now) although I had an 8 year gap in between where I bought a campervan for some reason and couldn't justify both that and the bike to the misses. Since having kids the camper wasn't big enough so sold that, bought a trailer and a bigger tent and then an old F650 to get back into biking. I did my BikeSafe course on that and then bought myself a Tiger 800XC and proceeded to do my RoSPA which I passed in September. A few weeks ago I was in Ireland doing my WEMT with WEMSI and decided I really wanted to give something back, local SAR in the area isn't massively active and I saw the USR and sent an email off straight away.

Anyway enough of me rambling. Hopefully see some of you tomorrow for the BHF ride.

Matt

BryanBlencowe

Quote from: Matt on March 23, 2018, 01:29:30 PM
Hi All
Just I should probably introduce myself as I'm out tomorrow with everyone. I've been riding since i was 16 (37 now) although I had an 8 year gap in between where I bought a campervan for some reason and couldn't justify both that and the bike to the misses. Since having kids the camper wasn't big enough so sold that, bought a trailer and a bigger tent and then an old F650 to get back into biking. I did my BikeSafe course on that and then bought myself a Tiger 800XC and proceeded to do my RoSPA which I passed in September. A few weeks ago I was in Ireland doing my WEMT with WEMSI and decided I really wanted to give something back, local SAR in the area isn't massively active and I saw the USR and sent an email off straight away.

Anyway enough of me rambling. Hopefully see some of you tomorrow for the BHF ride.

Matt
Hey Matt I'm a recent newb too. Also attending tomorrow so will meet you then sir. Welcome!

STEM

Quote from: BryanBlencowe on March 23, 2018, 01:33:23 PM
Hey Matt I'm a recent newb too. Also attending tomorrow so will meet you then sir. Welcome!

Welcome Matt.

Have a great first day out and remember Chris Pine always buys the Teas

STEM

Dobin

Thanks for letting me join your group.
My name is Sid Collyer / Dobin. I have been trying to meet up with you all from August last year but things got busy. 
I became an IAM Observer for TVAM and the meeting dates have just clashed each time.
It will be great to finally meet you all at Kempton Park this Sunday. 

Mr Rizla

Welcome to the group Sid/Dobin, this weekend's ride is a good one to see the operation in action

Cheers
Ken

tactical-panda

Hi everyone, my name is Allan Benson, I live in Bideford, North Devon. I currently ride a Suzuki DL650 V-Strom and I have been a motorcyclist for over 40 years. I am keen and willing to learn - even at my age!